Dentistry for Children
Getting your kids to see a dentist can be a difficult task at times but it should be done regularly. Children should be excited to go to the dentist instead of being scared because dentistry for children is all about keeping their teeth and gums clean and healthy.
Children are prone to tooth decay, broken teeth, irregular growth, pains and plaque build-up because of their natural tendency to skip brushing their teeth and because of their eating habits. Most children love food that can lead to serious plaque build-up such as chocolate and other sweet candies.
Common Dental Procedures for Children
- Dental cleaning – during this procedure Dr. Afzali will gently scrape off any plaque and tartar sticking to the teeth and gums. This process should be done at least twice every year. If there is too much plaque and tartar or if the former has turned to hardened calculus then scaling and planning will be done instead.
- Tooth extraction – children may grow some of their wisdom teeth early. Others will grow teeth irregularly and the dentist may have to extract these teeth to allow the others to grow properly. Teeth extraction is also done to remove broken or decayed teeth.
- Filling – some cavities and small crevices can still be filled with a special paste. This will prevent the need to pull the tooth out. Keep in mind this is mostly done only for permanent teeth.
- Retention – retainers and braces can be applied to kids in order to keep their teeth growing straight and in proper shape. Irregular teeth shapes and positions can lead to plaque build-up since the toothbrush can no longer reach specific areas.
- Brushing and Flossing – Dr. Afzali will also give special instructions to teach kids how to properly brush and floss their teeth. This is very important because studies have shown that a surprising amount of children are not taught how to properly brush and floss.
Even if your children do not suffer from any form of pain in the mouth, it is advisable to visit a dentist at least twice a year.
Whether your child is suffering from pain or if they just haven’t been to the dentist for a while now, you can go to Lifetime Dental if you live in or around Rancho Cucamonga, CA.
For further inquiries simply call the office at (909) 483-0812 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Afzali.