Preventive orthodontics specializes in reducing or preventing growing malocclusions by maintaining the teeth’s oral structure. If you notice a problem with your child’s teeth, treatment can be given to prevent teeth deterioration to avoid more expensive dental procedures in the future.
We offer several preventative orthodontic solutions that you may avail of such as the following:
- Space Maintainers: if your child loses their primary teeth due to disease or an accident, a space maintainer may prove useful. A space maintainer is an orthodontic device that keeps the space in between the teeth from being occupied so permanent teeth can grow in its rightful position. This is a simple instrument but it can save you and your child money and time.
- Guided Eruption: crowding can be prevented or minimized if treatment commences as soon the permanent front teeth start to erupt, which usually starts at six years of age. This is usually done by providing additional space for the teeth, a procedure that allows natural alignment of teeth.
- Early Extraction: Sometimes a primary tooth doesn’t fall out when it should, and there are times when they don’t fall out at all. In these instances, the permanent tooth can end up in the wrong place because the primary tooth is still there. If that is the case, Dr. Afzali may recommend primary tooth extraction so proper spacing and eruption can take place.
- Thumb Sucking: thumb sucking can lead to the jaw or upper teeth to tip forward. This can result in a serious overbite that necessitates orthodontic treatment. With our specially designed dental appliances, this practice can be discouraged and more costly orthodontic treatment avoided in the future.
- Dental Headgear: dental headgear is a preventive appliance meant to rectify the way the lower and upper molars fit with one another. This can also be used to provide extra space for permanent teeth. A headgear is usually worn at home and when sleeping at night.
- Fixed Functional Appliance: this is typically glued on the lower and upper molar teeth and cannot be taken out. By keeping the jaw forward, it minimizes teeth protrusion as the child grows, keeping the teeth together.
Our preventive orthodontics services are designed to offer optimum results with little or no discomfort. If you’re interested in setting up an appointment with Dr. Afzali, you may call Lifetime Dental in Rancho Cucamonga CA by dialing (909) 483-0812.